Our progressive and growing manufacturing company is seeking a strong Supervisor with Melt Shop expertise. Your years of leadership in the steel industry will make you an ideal candidate. Our client is committed to their employees with a strong track record of employee longevity (decades even!). If you are looking for a stable company that values employee loyalty and treats their employees with respect and gratitude, this is your role!
– Assists with the operations and flow of the Melt Shop in all areas, including the Furnace etc.
– Supervise and schedule work load for refining melts.
– Schedule lots to be burned in metal recovery furnace.
– Coordinate samples from melt shop. Confirm end results
– Supervise, direct and coach melt prep and refining clerk with preparation of all materials and lots to ensure an efficient and cost-effective processing.
– Prepare expense budget for full year to provide necessary repairs, supplies and services to department managed.
– Schedule equipment maintenance to provide minimum down time and higher efficiency. Responsible for 5S in the areas supervised.
– Monitor and guide all efforts to optimize production efficiency, minimize cost and continuously improve quality initiatives.
– Provide oversight on operational and production issues, identify opportunities for improvement and evaluate relevant options and in conjunction with the Production Manager, implement, upgrade and improve projects identified
– Work in conjunction with other parts of Metal Control/Refining to control and minimize metals inventory.
– Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
– Prepare production and other reports
– Wear all required personal protective equipment and follow all health and safety and environmental rules.
Major Job Challenges:
– The presence of heat and liquid metal necessitates excellent attention to detail.
– Lead and direct department while maintaining common goals focus.
– Minimize metal losses, on time scheduling of melt jobs in correlation with other depts.
– Diploma in metallurgy, materials engineering, chemistry, industrial processes or equivalent required
– 5 years+ on the job experience, preferably in steel industry
– 5 years in supervision or management is an asset
– Health & safety training
– Computer skills required